XMPP hosting by JSXC
Beta service! This service is currently in testing stage and only available for OJSXC >= 3.3.0.
You like to have your own full-blown XMPP server, without to hassle with the installation and maintenance of a server? Good news for you: JSXC will host your XMPP server for free*.
You can get your own XMPP server in 4 easy steps:
- Go to the Nextcloud app store
(once 3.3.0 final is released, you can just click "Install" in your Nextcloud "Apps" page)
- In Nextcloud, open the admin page for JSXC
- Select "Managed"
- Click "Register" and you are done. 20 to 30 seconds later, you will be notified that everything has been set up. Congratulations to your XMPP domain!
*up to 20 users per domain during beta test
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it a real XMPP server?
Yes. You will get your own virtual host on our ejabberd XMPP server installation.
Which XMPP domain will I get?
We will use your Nextcloud domain as subdomain of jsxc.ch. For example, if use cloud.mydomain.com for your Nextcloud installation, your XMPP domain will be cloud.mydomain.com.jsxc.ch.
Can I use other clients?
Is this safe?
- We do not have access to your Nextcloud data and all XMPP connections from JSXC will use time-limited tokens, so we will not be able to obtain your password.
- If you use a third-party client, we recommend to use app passwords (and disable file access, just in case).
- We use encrypted connections everywhere. In fact, the process of obtaining the certificats for your new XMPP domain take up the largest part of the registration waiting time.
Is this federated and what the hack is federated?
Federated means you are able to communicate with every other XMPP user if they support server-to-server communication. It is like email and yes, our XMPP server supports this. So firstname.lastname@example.org can communicate with email@example.com or any other XMPP-enabled domain, and vice versa.
Are there really no constraints?
Ok, you caught us. Our service does not yet work if you use email addresses as user IDs in Nextcloud, but we are working on this.
How to report bugs
Please use our issue tracker to report bugs and suggestions for improvements.